Tuesday, November 14, 2006

An Offer I Really Wish I Could Refuse

Boss: “So I was going through everything that needs to be done on this project in the next 6 weeks to meet our deadline.”
Me: “Ok.”
Boss: “Well we have about 1,000 hours left in the budget, that’s about 5 people full time until the end of the year, I don’t think we will end up needing all of those hours, but there is a lot of work to be done.”
Me: “Well that’s good, always nice finishing with room to spare.”
Boss: “Yeah, well we have the budget for 5 people but as of now you’re the only one available to work on it.”
Me: “Hmmmm.”
Me in my head: Son of bitch I know what’s coming next. Don’t say it, don’t say it don’t say it.
Boss: “So if you wanted to, you can start putting in 10 or 11 hours day.”
Me in my head: Shit he said it.
Me: “All right, I’ll see what I can do.

I hate when it’s phrased like that. Oh what a generous offer, I would absolutely love wallow away in my cubicle for an extra three hours a day. It sounds like it would absolutely suck but really is there anything more fulfilling than a job well done. Actually I can think of several things, like happy hour. There worst part is that I can’t say no. I’m a real go getter with upper management written all over me, it would be hard to keep up appearances by not working a few extra hours a week when things need to get done. Plus he’s totally calling my bluff, it’s not like I have anything more important to do. My commute to work consists of an 8 minute walk down the street, so basically working an extra few hours at worst means I’m going to miss an episode of 30 Minute Meals, or Scrubs if I have to work real late. Well that and my life sucking just that much more. And actually it is the holiday say so making a few extra hundos a week isn’t a bad proposition.

Dammit, it actually is a good offer, and I’m really pissed that I somehow developed that mindset. Today I officially became old.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Just think of it this way; you can't run a marathon in extra time you'll put in each day.

Anonymous said...

As much as I would like the extra money, whenever they offer OT I never volunteer.
My mental health is much more important to me than a few extra bucks.
I would go crazy if I had to be here more than I have to now.

Mike said...

It doesn't sound that terrible. With your new schedule you'd still be leaving work at 6 or 7. Could be worse.

Los said...

This is what it takes to be a manager - to phrase things in such a way that an underling is unable to say no. Consider it a lesson learned.

David said...

you're friend los is right; I figured out a long time ago that the best way to get someone to do something is to make them think it was their own idea.