Thursday, May 24, 2007

Softball

Yesterday may have been the single most embarrassing moment of my athletic career. I strike out, playing slow pitch softball. How is that even possible? It’s one of those leagues where you start an at-bat with a 1-1 count. I fouled the first pitch down the line, then tried to muscle up on the next pitch and swung and missed. Really how is that possible? I mean, as Brian said, the pitcher clearly reached back for a little extra. It appeared he hit at least 30 or 32 on the radar gun. And I don’t know if you can throw a splitter underhand but it definitely broke a little down and in. What I’m trying to say is that this guy was nasty. Or not, because it’s slow pitch softball for Christ’s sake. I definitely wanted to hang up the spikes after that one. I once made 5 errors in a game in college and I was less and embarrassed than striking yesterday. Are you allowed to bunt in softball? If so I’m sticking with that from now on.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Last season, I struck out...in kickball.

I win.

Brian said...

i really felt bad for you. although i still cheered for you during your next at bat!

Anonymous said...

I think making fun of you here might just be too mean.

David said...

I swung and missed once. I also pulled a muscle beating out a groundball. I've never struck out though.......

Los said...

That is pretty embarrassing - this is probably why I don't play slow-pitch softball ... I'd hate to start having to make up excuses.